Monday, January 7, 2013


Hello Family and Friends!

How are you all doing? I sincerely hope that you are all doing well and that you are happy. I also hope that you are starting off the New Year right! Well, some big, shocking news that I had this week. My companion got a phone call on Wednesday from the Zone Leaders and they told him that he was going to train a new elder for his last two transfers. I thought that he would leave Coahuixtla and that I would stay because I only had one transfer in the area. Then, on Saturday, we get the phone call, and I had transfers, not him. So I am now emailing you from Tepalcingo, a pueblo in the northern part of Morelos. My new companion is Elder Romero from Puebla, Mexico. This is actually his last transfer so he will be finishing his mission with me (lucky him right?)

Impressions of Mexico!

1) So yesterday was Día de los Reyes or basically the day of the Three Wise Men. It is Christmas Round 2 here in Mexico. I actually asked Elder Ramos what day would be more common for children to receive gifts if the family does not have a lot of money and he said el Día de los Reyes! On this day they actually eat this sweet bread called Rosca de Reyes that has gummies and chocolate inside of it. Also, (and no one told me before I bit into it) little plastic toys. I know that you are all jealous.

2) This was a funny excuse that I heard from someone that did not want to talk to us: "My brother cannot come out and talk right now to you guys because he is vomiting". We tell the kid to go back and tell him that we will wait until he his done. He comes back out again and tells us that his brother cannot come out and talk because he is about to leave for work.

Well, just a few this week because I wrote a ton last week but, honestly, Mexico never ceases to surprise me. 

I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to be a missionary. I have not had as much success as I would have liked to have but I can honestly say that I have done my best. And that is all we can do right? Our best. And our best is never perfect. But it is all our Heavenly Father requires of us. I love this gospel so much. I love my Savior Jesus Christ so much. He means everything to me. I have felt his love. I know that he lives. I know that he is the Savior and Redeemer of my soul. And I know that I will look back on these two years of consecrated sacrifice with peace, knowing that I gave my all, my talents, my times, my love, my experiences...everything, to help The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints grow. To bring other souls to know their Savior and Redeemer in a more personal and intimate way. I would be a liar if I did not say that at times I am lonely, discouraged, scared, etc. But those feelings are always swallowed up in what I know to be true. What I know to be right. 

So, I left Coahuixtla in peace. When I arrived there were 0 investigators. When I left there were 5 that had dates to be baptized. And now I will give it my all here in Tepalcingo. The Lord will bless me. I know it. There are challenges to be had and joy to be found in this Pueblo. 

I love you all. You all mean very much to me and I pray for your happiness and peace.

Elder Nielsen

(A Short Letter this Week but I have Pictures to Make up for It)

No comments:

Post a Comment