Monday, May 6, 2013


Hello Family and Friends!

Impressions of Mexico!

1) So, yesterday, in keeping with the spirit of 5 de Mayo, my companion and I had our own personal battle in our bathroom...with 10 giant cockroaches. I killed 2 and my companion killed 8 (what can I say? Elder Nielsen and cockroaches do not mix well). It was a tough fight but we came out on top.

2) So, in America, if I saw somebody begging for food on the side of the road, I would say something like, "Well, the least I could do is offer him a piece of bread." The equivalent here in Mexico is a taco. It is the most basic form of food that the people think of when talking about giving food to the hungry or poor.

3) As missionaries, we always invite people to go to church. Well, after my experience here in the field, I would like to share with you the two phrases that, if said by an investigator, automatically tell me that they are not going to arrive.

A) Primero Dios. (God first).

B) Vamos a hacer todo lo posible para ir. (We are going to do everything we can to go.)

I do not have a lot of time this week to write, but I just wanted to let you know that I love being a missionary. This week I have really thought a lot about repentance. Repentance is truly such a beautiful thing. We are promised that if we really want to change, if we really are committed to living better, that the Lord will forgive us and that we can move on. I am really so grateful for the Atonement of Christ. I do not understand it completely. But I know that he came to this Earth and suffered for me and for each and every one of us. I will never tire of teaching that to people and helping them understand it. I have felt his love. I have felt the power of the Atonement and forgiveness and I know that he lives. 

This week I finished the Book of Mormon for the second time during my time here in the field. The Spirit has once again testified to my soul of its truthfulness. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. That he restored the true church of Christ here on the Earth. I think about everything that he suffered. Everything that he went through to bring about this church. He truly is one of the greatest examples I have of a man of God that I want to emulate.

I just want to say that I know God lives. Jesus is the Christ. He loves us and knows us personally. Turn to him and you will find the peace that you are looking for.

Elder Nielsen

No comments:

Post a Comment